scsi boot problems?

Some days back I reported I'd lost three hard discs when I look for
them using linux but they are still there according to my Adapted
3940 SCSI controller.  Well, I've learned something about drive
name spaces in linux (separate for drives and CDROMS as I
thought blowing one attractive explanation out of the way!)

I've tried all sorts of things but have come back to reinstalling linux
(probably needed to do this anyway).  I've found the wonderful thing
that alt-F4 in the resc1440 boot shows you the end of the boot up
messages.  (Not being able to get back at these in the event of a
big disaster is a real problem: you can't pause them with ctrl-S nor
can you find dmsg (?sp?) if your system is really damaged.  I'd rate
a scrollable review of the messages very highly on my wish list!)

What I find there is about like this:
<4> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
<6> (scsi1:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices
<4> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Bad scbptr 255 during SELTO.
<4> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 255 not valid druing SELTO
<4>          SCSISEQ = 0x12 SEQADDR = 0xa SSTAT0 = 0x15
SSTAT1 = 0x8a
<4> scsi    :   detected 2 SCSI cdroms 2 SCSI disks total.

The three error lines are then repeated but with SSTAT1 = 0x88
later.

I get the same message whether I use channel A or B on the
controller and both have the lines starting (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) which
suggests to me this is something to do with that channel on the
controller, as handled by linux, not something to do with the drives.

Can someone point me to documentation on these things or
explain them?  I tried putting an old Adaptec 1540 in temporarily
instead of the 3940 but that didn't admit to finding _any_ drives and
it may well be dead.  The firmware on the 3940 reports all the
drives and claims to verify them fine so I'm puzzled here.  Looks to
me like something wrong with the handling of the controller by linux
but I assume there's something wrong with the controller.  I don't
want to buy anything unnecessary or waste more time but I'd really
love to get this system up and running again so any help is much
appreciated.

Chris