Re: Issues in switching to Debian

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 11:40:34AM -0400, Rob Collins wrote:
> It disabled writing to my floppy disk, for one thing.

how so? are you sure thats not disabled in BIOS?
can you describe the behaviour? maybe an example of what happens when you
try?

>  The ppid points to
> xdm.  In fact, in top it reports its command line value as "xdm" instead
> of (what you see in ps) "-:0"... which I figure is garbage.

hmm that doesn't look particularly strange.
course I don't generally run xdm...

> Not that I'm an expert, but from what I gather, it is (at least) an MBR
> virus,

MBR viruses wouldn't do too well under linux...
after it boots they would be in an environment which they didn't expect.

I supose it is POSSIBLE...
but it wouldn't get a PID...since it wasn't invoked
through standard unix system calls and in fact
ran before the kernel.

> and therefore I'd expect just about anything would detect it (I'll
> borrow some Anti-virus software and try it tonight).  But what this thing
> has done, if anything, to my linux partitions (and lilo, of course, has to
> be shot) is the issue I see as most important right now.

ok...just one thing... MAKE A LINUX BOOT DISK!

just be safe ;) you don't want it overwritting your boot sector to get rid
of the lilo virus ;)

> "Just keep telling yourself you are immortal"  --Albert Hofmann

good quote :)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"