Re: Oracle

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 11:25:56AM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> Debian is not a company to "sign up with". You can use Oracle on Debian with
> no problems whatsoever. It is even distributed in plain tarballs and not
> rpms. You can download it right now, if you want.

I have a problem with that.  I'm using Debian in a corporate setting.
We started with Slackware in 1995 for a low-budget project.  We were
forced to stop using it in 1997 and migrated that machine to AIX,
which is our standard platform.  Now, thanks to the good Linux press,
we're using Debian on a few machines with plans to deploy more.  One of
those will need to run Oracle.  If companies are only going to support
RedHat or one of the other commercial distros, Management is going to
tell us that we need to run RedHat, not Debian.

We may both realize that there isn't any problem technically with running
Oracle (or any other app) on Debian.  But that's not the issue.

I wish decisions were made on technical merit alone, but this is the
real world.  For that reason, it would be nice if Debian had a marketing
interface to corporations like Sybase, Oracle, etc.  And we need to know
key things like how big our user base is.  The problem is that this is
a full-time job...  :-(

Regards,

Jeff

--
It's time to close windows and open source.
Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.