Re: Netware server to Linux server

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 08:01:49PM -0400, Matt Leese wrote:
> This is semi-off topic.  I help administer a LAN at my school that is
> currently running on an underpowered Netware 3.12 server.  We plan to
> replace the server with an extra PII 266 we have laying around.  I
> personally would prefere to install Linux on the server instead of
> Netware (I have more experience with Linux).  The computers running on
> the network a combination of Win95 machines and Win 3.11 machines.  The
> server is used to store files and as a print server only. First of all,
> is there any software package that emulates a netware server for Linux?
> If not, would Samba then be the best route to go? Also, some of the
> teachers in charge of the network are not sure that Linux would be the
> best upgrade route, are there any arguments that I can use (they aren't
> the most computer literate people in the world, i.e. they would not be
> able to run the network with out students help)?  TIA.

Yes, there is software to emulate Netware on linux, but you would still
be better off with samba. In my opinion (only), samba emulates Windows
networking very well, and Windows is much more comfortable with its
native networking than it is with Netware servers.

For 95 it will just work; for 3.11, you need to install the Microsoft
TCP/IP stack; it's ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/TCP32B.EXE

For an experimental package of mars-nwe, the netware server, see
ftp://ftp.rising.com.au/pub/hamish

Hamish