Netware server to Linux server

This is semi-off topic.  I help administer a LAN at my school that is
currently running on an underpowered Netware 3.12 server.  We plan to
replace the server with an extra PII 266 we have laying around.  I
personally would prefere to install Linux on the server instead of
Netware (I have more experience with Linux).  The computers running on
the network a combination of Win95 machines and Win 3.11 machines.  The
server is used to store files and as a print server only. First of all,
is there any software package that emulates a netware server for Linux?
If not, would Samba then be the best route to go? Also, some of the
teachers in charge of the network are not sure that Linux would be the
best upgrade route, are there any arguments that I can use (they aren't
the most computer literate people in the world, i.e. they would not be
able to run the network with out students help)?  TIA.
--
Matt Leese
http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~mleese/graphics/websurf.html