Re: Is PPP needed for ISDN?

On: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:44:45 +0200 Remo Badii writes:

> Dear Debs,
> 1) is PPP support needed for ISDN (which uses, as the documentation says,
>    syncPPP instead)?  At the moment, I have PPP as a module in the
>    kernel and I am about to try an ISDN connection.

You don't need PPP for ISDN.

> 2) Is VJ compression advisable/irrelevant/dangerous? There are warnings
>    against VJ in some ISDN-related scripts which I found in the WWW:
>    if it is indeed not advisable, what is the purpose for this
>    option in the kernel configuration?

There are some peers that have problems negotiating vj compression
with ISDN4Linux.  You should compile VJ in, in case of problems
disable it with the ipppd options -vj -vjccomp.  I had problems with
bsd compression, so I had to disable it.

You should set the debug option of ipppd to follow the talk of ipppd
with its peer.

	Torsten