Re: X Installation

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> De Jay wrote
> > FYI, when I tried running Netscape on my 386 with 8M RAM (30M swap),
> > it locked up my machine every time.  you've been warned.
>
> Did you have a coprocessor, and did you have xfs running?

yes, I had a coprocessor.
I believe you are referring to 'xdm', not xfs.  i had xdm running as
well.  xfs (dos-based nfs client) was running on my 286, while pcnfsd
nfsd and mountd were running on my 386.  netscape took between 8 and
15 minutes to load, and as soon as I landed on a page with too much
animation (animated gifs or java scripts, it didn't matter), netscape
would lock up my whole machine.  i used every trick in the book to
kill netscape and/or get back into the machine with another console or
another terminal... but even my serial-line terminal was locked up, so
I know that there was no way back in.  BTW, only 70% of my virtual
memory was occupied when it crashed.  if you have any suggestions that
I have not thought of yet, i am willing to try them >:-)

 - DeJay.
  _________
| http://bedrock.dyn.ml.org/dejay     |
| dejay@bedrock.dyn.ml.org            |