Re: X Installation

De Jay wrote
> FYI, when I tried running Netscape on my 386 with 8M RAM (30M swap),
> it locked up my machine every time.  you've been warned.

Did you have a coprocessor, and did you have xfs running?

A yar and a half or so ago, someone using macbsd without a coprocessor
found that, contrary to what was believed, mosaic did work with
an emulated coprocessor.  He got called away and returned
an hour later, discovering that it had launched.

Selecting fonts with no postscript equivalent for *everythign*
and running xfs make all the difference in the world.  For that matter,
even with a 486 & coprocessor, they make the difference between
painful & usable.

X is single-threaded.  While it renders a font,, it can do nothing
else.  And on a slow machine without a coprocessor, this takes a
very long time.  With a 486/33, it can take a couple of minutes.

By running xfs, you can keep the rest of X running to do something else
(like hit keys to switch to a console :)

rick