lowmem installation trouble

I am trying to install Debian on my 386 w/ 4Megs of RAM and hercules
video.  Using the lowmem.bin image, here is what happens...

boot: [I hit Enter.]

That's as far as she goes.  It hangs there, all night.  I have to hard
reboot.  Using the resc1440.bin image I get...

SYSLINUX 1.40-2.1 [etc...]
Boot failed

Using the lowmemrd.bin image I get...

[beep]

Nothing at all, no error, and I have to hard reboot.  Using the root.bin
image gets me the same result.

Ok, obviously I don't know a whole lot about what I am doing.  Can anyone
help me out?  I've installed FreeBSD and Linux before, but always on more
modern systems with CDROMs.

Thanks,
Nathan Hendler