Re: lowmem installation trouble

I've had a similar hardware configuration running linux before, but
that was Slackware 3.0 (when *it* was considered NEW).  I've not tried
Debian with only 4M of RAM (and hercules card), but I can tell you
that Debian 2.0 liked my 386 with 8M RAM.

The Debian installation process, however, does take up a LOT more RAM
than slackware or even RedHat does... at least, based on my
experience.  I'm not sure how much the lowmemrd image really does
require now, even though the standard used to be 4M.  I hate to steer
you away from Debian, but I the only solutions I can suggest is to
either upgrade to 8M (a $20 investment)  or try another distribution
like Slackware.  Even if you do get it working with 4M of RAM, your
machine will spend more time swapping than it will doing any
productive work.  If anyone else DOES know how to FORCE debian to work
with only 4M of RAM, please forward the solution to me as well.  :)

Here is what I have on my 386 with 8M (running RedHat 5.0):
[root@wilma /root]# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers cached
Mem:          6600       6204        396       4252        236 2168
-/+ buffers/cache:       3800       2800
Swap:        30864       5132      25732

 - DeJay.

p.s.  my 486 is running Debian 2.0  ;-)
  _________
| http://bedrock.dyn.ml.org/dejay     |