Re: Sound Blaster

Jeff Miller wrote:

> I am running the latest Debian release.  My CD-ROM is connected to my Sound Blaster 16 and was detected with no problem.  I don't have sound, though, and I am not sure what to do about it.  Do I really have to recompile the Kernel to support my sound card?  Or, can I configure it as a module.  So far, I haven't needed to recompile the Kernel for anything and I'm not sure I want to start now.  Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

	You'll need to recompile the kernel regardless;  whether you build
sound into the kernel or as a module, you have to recompile to tell the
kernel/module the necessary parameters like the IRQ or DMA channel of
your card.
	Also check to see if your card is a PnP type card.  If so, you'll need
to setup the 'isapnp' package.  Exception: some modern BIOSs can
initialize PnP cards at bootup (this is my case).

--
Ed C.