Re: HELP! how does Debian allocate scsi drives?

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

> I can't get into the machine to check documentation and I can't see
> enough detail in "Running Linux" to know if this is the case and, if
> so, how to fix it.  However, that does read as if linux scans through
> the scsi devices allocating /dev/sda /dev/sdb etc sequentially rather
> than hard mapping to a scsi id.  If so, maybe removing the cdrom
> has thrown the mapping and I should be able to get in as root and
> hack the mapping (is it in /etc/fstab?) and correct the problem.
> (Seems odd as it allocates cdroms and rw drives separately but ...)

 This does seem to be the case. I have a SCSI removeable drive, CD-ROM,
and scanner, and depending on which ones are turned on at boot (which
determines whether they're detected or not) my scanner can be at anything
from sga to sgc. I'd suggest hopping in as root and fixing your
/etc/fstab...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248)377-7735       ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com
                       Free Stereogram!
    Try to make the two "O"s in the next row look like three:
                              O    O
n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n
f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f
e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e
a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a
a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a
r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r
r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r