Re: kde problem and wmanager question

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Jan Krupa wrote:

> What happens ? After some time when I use kde (it works after
> cannot start any program. I mean when choose something
> from the the kde or debian menu.

It sounds like kfm is dying.  I don't know why it would be, but if you
re-run it in an xterm, then I think things will go back to normal.  I
think I had this problem a while back, probably on beta 3, or so.  I
haven't seen it recently, though.

> Q2.
> I would like type startx and have possibility interactively to
> choose before X Window is loaded which window manager I would like
> to start. It is possible? How ?

The Xsession script can actually take a parameter that lets you choose an
X session.  Kdm, the KDE replacement for xdm, has a combo box that lets
you specify what the parameter is.  For example, on my kdm screen, I can
choose a kde session, a Window Maker session, an AfterStep session, an
FVWM2 session, and a failsafe (no windowmanager) session.  I modified the
global Xsession file, /etc/X11/Xsession to execute the proper commands
based on the parameter received.  I added the menu selections to the
kdm combo box by adding this line to /etc/kde/kdmrc (or was it
kdmrc.in...or both...I don't understand the point of kdmrc.in, so I
deleted it and symlinked it back to kdmrc):

SessionTypes=kde;wmaker;afterstep;fvwm2;failsafe;

It works like a charm.  Just be sure that the user doesn't override the
global Xsession with their own .xsession file (unless it can handle the
same parameters), or the combo box selection will be meaningless.

If you don't want to use kdm, but would rather use startx (as you say you
would), then it could still be done, but you might have to write a little
code, as I don't know of the existance of the proper utility.  Basically,
instead of a window manager being run, you'd run a simple application that
lets you select a window manager (by clicking on a button, or something).
Once you select a window manager, the chooser type thing can destroy its
window and do a waitpid() on the window manager process.  When the window
manager exits, the chooser can exit, which terminates the xsession, and
you're back at the console prompt.  I'm not sure how this will work when
you switch window managers while keeping the xsession alive, though.  It
might kill the xsession.

noah

  PGP public key available at
  http://lynx.dac.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html