HELP! how does Debian allocate scsi drives?

I have been juggling systems and removed a CDROM drive from my
Debian machine.  I also had to replace the motherboard but don't
think that's the issue here.

Now when I reboot the scsi controller sees the scsi drives on both
its channels (its an Adaptec 3940 which has two channels).
Debian seems to reset the controller successfully on both
channels but the boot up fsck reports that three of my drives aren't
there as ext2 filesystems.  I'm pretty sure they're all on the same
(second) channel and that that's the channel where the cdrom
came out so I'd like to think the explanation is that removing the
cdrom has thrown the mapping from scsi device ids to /dev
mounts.

I can't get into the machine to check documentation and I can't see
enough detail in "Running Linux" to know if this is the case and, if
so, how to fix it.  However, that does read as if linux scans through
the scsi devices allocating /dev/sda /dev/sdb etc sequentially rather
than hard mapping to a scsi id.  If so, maybe removing the cdrom
has thrown the mapping and I should be able to get in as root and
hack the mapping (is it in /etc/fstab?) and correct the problem.
(Seems odd as it allocates cdroms and rw drives separately but ...)

If not, what's happening?!  I can't see that there's likely to have
been a major destruction of the file system on all three drives
particularly given that the controller verifies them happily!

_ANY_ hints, help, thwacks over the head for stupidity gratefully
received.

Chris
Chris Evans, R&D Consultant,
Tavistock & Portman NHS Trust