kde problem and wmanager question

Q1.
I have installed kde from the stable distribution (debian2.0),
I mean I just did:

dpkg -i kdesupport*.deb
dpkg -i kdelibs*.deb and so on (kdebase, utils, graphics.)

Now I start usually (startx) with fvwm95 and then from the debian menu
I choose WindowManagers/kde where the entry in menudefs.hook is:
+ "&kde" Restart /usr/X11R6/bin/kde

Of course I can start the kde script in startx or
change the order in the file /etc/window-managers

What happens ? After some time when I use kde (it works after
cannot start any program. I mean when choose something
from the the kde or debian menu.

What is going on ?
Should I put some environmental variable (e.g. in profile
something like KDEDIR= ?) ?

Q2.
I would like type startx and have possibility interactively to
choose before X Window is loaded which window manager I would like
to start. It is possible? How ?

Thanks in advance,

Jan