Re: newbie installing Xwin, and other stuff

Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> > Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:
> > >
> > > I need some hand holding here.
> > > My computer uses an STB Velocity 128 video card.
> > >
> > > What do I need to do to install Xwindows.
> >

> >       In dselect first select the xbase-xxx package in the X section.
> > dselect will then automatically select the other needed packages.  You
> > might optionally select some additional font packages (there are several
> > in addition to the required one).  Then you need to install an xserver
> > for your video card.  I don't know what this might be (probably the SVGA
> > server), so take a look at the files in /usr/doc/X11 to see if they
> > mention your card.
>
> Umm... *rubs back of head*
> I haven't been able to get dhcpcd working, which I need for using the
> computer on the network, so I can't use dselect... I need to download
> packages individually. (I think.)

	Now you've got me confused. :-)  If you can 'download packages
individually' (you are talking about ftp, right?) you can certainly use
dselect to do that for you.  In dselect, under the access option, you
can get dselect to install from a hard drive, cdrom, ftp across
internet, http across internet, etc, etc.
	If installing from a CD set ('mountable' in dselect access method), the
x stuff is certainly there.  If trying to install from the net, use the
'ftp' access method of dselect.  The 'apt' access method is better, but
probably not on the CD set.  You need to download and install apt first,
then you'll see a new option, 'apt', under the access method screen in
dselect.
	Whatever access method you use (CD,FTP), once you get dselect working
things will get a lot easier.  With dselect, when you select the 'xbase'
package dselect/dpkg will automatically check dependencies and select
for install the other packages you'll need, except for the server
XF86_SVGA that you need for your video card.  Install the server last.

--
Ed C.