Motorola modem not working

        Hi Debian users,
        First, I didn't know very well yet manipulate ioports and interrupts. I
bought a 56.6Kbs Motorola V.90 (SM56) modem and tried the package wvdial to
detect my modem and it didn't detected. My mouse is at /dev/ttyS0 and the output
of the wvdialconf program is:

phantasy:/home/paulo# wvdialconf create
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: Ignoring ttyS0 because /dev/mouse is a link to it.
ttyS1<*1>: AT -- AT -- AT -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S2   S3

Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?

The output of the comand cat /proc/interrupts is:

phantasy:/home/paulo# cat /proc/interrupts
0:     110704   timer
1:       3765   keyboard
2:          0   cascade
4:       5038 + serial
5:         31   sound blaster
13:         1   math error
14:     14685 + ide0
15:     45164 + ide1

    At boot there is a message about serial ports:

    tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

    The output of the comand cat proc/ioports is:
    0000-001f : dma1
    0020-003f : pic1
    0040-005f : timer
    0060-006f : keyboard
    0080-008f : dma page reg
    00a0-00bf : pic2
    00c0-00df : dma2
    00f0-00ff : npu
    0170-0177 : ide1
    01f0-01f7 : ide0
    0220-022f : sound blaster
    02f8-02ff : serial(set)
    0376-0376 : ide1
    0378-037f : lp
    03c0-03df : vga+
    03f0-03f5 : floppy
    03f6-03f6 : ide0
    03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
    03f8-03ff : serial(set)
    6100-611f : eth0
    f000-f007 : IDE DMA
    f008-f00f : IDE DMA

    The modem manual is very short and don't say anything about jumpers and IRQ's.

    Any hints? Has someone the same modem that could help me?
    Have a nice day,                        Paulo Henrique