Re: Xwindows working... sorta

At 12:32 AM 10/5/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 10:54:16PM -0500, Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:
>> Well, thanks to you guys, my mouse is working...
>> It's just that X isn't...
>> Hmm...
>> What I get is an xdm that has the login on the lower right of the screen,
>> and cut-off as well, almost as if the resolution isn't correct. (It seemed
>> as if I had a virtual desktop of 2x2 size.)
>>
>> My monitor is 1280x1024 (15").
>>

>> On another note... how do I mount drives on startup. I asked this question
>> before, but I didn't understand the answer.
>> Here's what I do as root.
>>
>> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win95_part
>>
>> Now... how do I 'automate this.
>>
>> perhaps something like
>>
>> mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cd_rom
>>
>> might be usefull as well. (how do I go about that?)
>>
>> I think that I have to modify a file (/etc/fstab?), but with a program, or
>> just do a "cat - >> /etc/fstab"?
>
>Well, yes you can use cat >> /etc/fstab and that is sometimes the most
>convenient way to append to a file, but you would be better off to choose
>and learn how to use one of the text editors available.
>
>You probably have 2 editors installed by default: ae and vi (elvis-tiny). If
>you are not familiar with either, ae would be easier to use.
>
>When you edit the /etc/fstab, you will notice some fields that look very
>similar to the arguments you use with the mount command to mount partition.
>For example, the cdrom entry might look like this:
>
>/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 defaults,user 0 0
>
>Look at the fstab man page for the details of each field. Notice that the
>mount point /cdrom needs to exist before you can mount a device on it. Just
>as you would need to create /mnt/win95 before you can mount a partition on
>it.

Just a clarification: when Jim says "the mount point /cdrom needs to
exist", he means that you need to make a directory named cdrom if it does
not already exist. As root, simply type:
mkdir /cdrom
(or as you indicate above, "mkdir /mnt/cdrom" -- I personally prefer my
other partitions to be mounted on the root instead of in another
subdirectory (/mnt),but that's just a personal preference). I only add this
clarification because when I was starting out with Linux, the phrase "mount
point" meant nothing to me.

Also, to mount a Win95 partition, the line in /etc/fstab would look
something like:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win95_part vfat defaults
(the vfat meaning it's a vfat type of partition, as opposed to msdos or the
cdrom type of iso9660)

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!