Re: Xwindows working... sorta

At 10:54 PM 10/4/1998 -0500, Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:
>Well, thanks to you guys, my mouse is working...
>It's just that X isn't...
>Hmm...
>What I get is an xdm that has the login on the lower right of the screen,
>and cut-off as well, almost as if the resolution isn't correct. (It seemed
>as if I had a virtual desktop of 2x2 size.)
>
>My monitor is 1280x1024 (15").

In my opinion, getting the video settings correct (or even workable if not
totally correct) is a bear. How did you create the XF86Config file? Did you
use xf86config, or XF86Setup, or some other method. I've found that my best
results are when I use XF86Setup and tell it to ignore my current
XF86Config file when it asks if it should use that file as a starting point.

At any rate, the problem is going to be in that file, under the Monitor or
the Device of the Screen section.

After exitting X, press Shift-PageUp and you should see the text of what
the X server could and could not use. Look for a line like "800x600 mode
requires a horizontal rate of 64; line deleted". This will give you a clue
as to what the problem may be. If you monitor can handle it (or if you're
willing to risk smoking the monitor), change the horizontal rate in
XF86Config's Monitor section to be at least what that line says is needed.
Then try again.

You can also press Ctrl-Alt-(minus) or Ctrl-Alt-(plus) while in X to cycle
through the available resolution settings; of course if nothing changes,
that means the one setting is all that X found usable; back to the
XF86Config file to tweak some more.

Kent

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!