Re: 3com905B cyclone not working

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

 : Hi all,
 :
 : I have a problem getting a 3com905B cyclone ethernet card to work under
 : linux on a fresh debian 2.0 system.  The card functions OK under
 : win95.  I think the problem is that the card thinks the network is
 : 100MBit ethernet, whereas it is only 10MBit.  The kernel I compiled is
 : 2.0.34, and it prints the following:
 :
 : eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xe800, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, IRQ 9
 : 1024 K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay
 :
 : The IRQ and address range match those from win95, the address of the
 : card is obviously bogus (ff:...).  I can't do as little as a ping
 : command to a machine on the same subnet, although ping 127.0.0.1 is OK.
 : Is it possible to force the card into 10MBit/s ethernet, or is there
 : something else I could improve on?

Did you try the 3c90xcfg.exe from 3Com?  That sometimes works for me.  I
have run into 3 905s that simply would not run under Linux, no matter
what I tried.  I put them back in the giant box-o-NICs and grabbed
another one.

I have a machine here with two 905s in it; works great, but I'm running
2.0.35.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD