Re: X server problems

Kent West <kent.west@infotech.acu.edu> writes:

> Could Braden not simply try Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to a non-X virtual console?
> I'm too new at Linux to know, but I'd at least try it.

No. If the X-Server isn't configured yet and you start xdm, xdm starts
the X-Server. The Server exits at once and returns control to xdm
which then again tries to start the Server and so on. This happens so
fast that no keystroke will work (i tried this serveral time - no
way). If you have another computer at hand, connectd per TCP/IP you
will be able to kill xdm (after login per telnet).

The other solution is to boot in single mode (init mode 1), but that
method was described already.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.