Re: X server problems

Braden N. McDaniel wrote:
> Now when I boot the machine, my monitor goes to sleep as soon as the boot
> sequence has completed. I *think* this is because I elected to being xdm up
> at bootup when I initially installed everything, and now that setting is
> kicking in. I suspect the problem may be that the X server has not yet been
> properly configured. How can I get to a prompt so I can run xf86config?

Eeeek!  I had a simular problem with xdm recently...  what I did was
boot
from the rescue disk (just like a normal install, no tricks), switch to
the console (alt-F2),. mount my root partition, with etc on it, and then
removed the file S99xdm (I think that's it) from /tempmount/etc/rc2.d
(actually I made a backup copy of it, but it's just a link to
../init.d/xdm.)

This link in /etc/rc2.d is what causes xdm to be launched on startup.
Removing it from this directory will cause xdm NOT to be started on
boot.
You can then unmount your / partition, reboot, and you shouldn't have to
worry about not being able to get to the prompt any more.  You can run
xdm manually from the prompt by simply typing xdm as root when you're
ready.

--
[this space for rent]