Re: Getting back into X after C-Alt-Fn'ing out.

*-Christopher Barry <cbarry@2xtreme.net>

| I read some email in the Debian list a few minutes ago that said you can
| switch to a text mode virtual console from X by using Control-Alt-Fn and
| thought "cool, I always wondered if there was a way to do that... I
| think I'll try it right now!" So I did and then I could not for the life
| of me figure out how to get back into X. No manpages, info pages,
| /usr/doc wildcard greps etc gave me anything useful. As a last resort I
| removed the lock file and tried to isolate and SIGKILL xinit and
| WindowMaker and every X related process I could find and I still
| couldn't get back into X by restarting it, so I ended up *rebooting*.
| So, you guys can probably figure out what my question is.... :)

:-) Control-Alt-F7 should get you there unless you have done
something unusual.

| Also, one other question. Is it possible to start two seperate X
| sessions, so that you could say have one X session running WindowMaker
| and the other one running E or something else, and switch between them
| via control-alt-fn or whatever?

That should be possible with xnest, but I've never tried it myself.

[olet@apollo] ~> dpkg --print-avail xnest
Package: xnest
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 2148
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: xfree86
Version: 3.3.2.3a-1
Replaces: xbase (<= 3.3.2-4)
Depends: libc6, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5), zlib1g
Recommends: xfntbase
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/x11/xnest_3.3.2.3a-1.deb
Size: 852112
MD5sum: 6adfe6db16188a158e80d841cfb64341
 This package provides an X server that is itself an X client. This
 allows you to run a server within a server. This is occasionally useful
 for testing new window managers and other X clients.

--
The only way tcsh "rocks" is when the rocks are attached to it's feet
in the deepest part of a very deep lake.             (Linus Torvalds)