Re: Getting back into X after C-Alt-Fn'ing out.

> I read some email in the Debian list a few minutes ago that said you can
> switch to a text mode virtual console from X by using Control-Alt-Fn and
> thought "cool, I always wondered if there was a way to do that... I
> think I'll try it right now!" So I did and then I could not for the life
> of me figure out how to get back into X. No manpages, info pages,
> /usr/doc wildcard greps etc gave me anything useful. As a last resort I
> removed the lock file and tried to isolate and SIGKILL xinit and
> WindowMaker and every X related process I could find and I still
> couldn't get back into X by restarting it, so I ended up *rebooting*.
> So, you guys can probably figure out what my question is.... :)

X is on console 7; just alt-f7

> Also, one other question. Is it possible to start two seperate X
> sessions, so that you could say have one X session running WindowMaker
> and the other one running E or something else, and switch between them
> via control-alt-fn or whatever?

yes, at least if you're using xdm.  as root,

X :1 -query localhost

will give you a new login screen on console 8.  I don't think user's
can launch new ones under xdm, but don't hold me to that.  you can also
use -bpp 16 or whathaveyou to run at a different depth, too