Re: PPP Connection Speed

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Shao Ying Zhang wrote:

>        Somehow, I cannot get a fast ppp connection anymore.
>
>        In redhat, my ppp connection is normally around 3K/sec.
>        But in debian, my ppp connection is around 800bytes/sec.
>
>        I had this ppp problem once in RedHat. I initialised my ppp when
>system redhat booted up. The system will keep calling pppd to check if my
>modem is available. so when I turn on my modem, it will start dialing.
>With this configuration, my ppp connection is always below 1K/sec. Once I
>disabled it, it went up to 3K/sec on average.
>
>        So, my guess is there is a similar situation in debian. But this
>time I don't have any idea at all. Could some ppp experts give me some
>tips to work around.

two things you might check:

does redhat have bsdcompression turned on, and debian not?
does redhat have a mru/mtu set, and debian not?

you don't say what speed modem you have.  also, don't forget with
compression the throughput depends a lot on the type of data being
transferred (text compresses more), plus if you're calling during peak
times your ISP may not have the bandwidth to support everyone at full
speed.

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /