What is the `visible' mail name of your system? This will appear on
From: lines of outgoing messages.
Enter value (default=`Johann', `x' to restart): alpha.futurenet.co.za

[snip]
On the following questions I gave 'none' as default answer.

Would you like to use the RBL? ('f'ilter, 'r'eject, or 'n'o)?
Enter value (default=`n', `x' to restart):

Which machine will act as the smarthost and handle outgoing mail?

Enter value (`x' to restart): alpha.futurenet.co.za

[snip]
Which user account(s) should system administrator mail go to ?
Enter one or more usernames separated by spaces or commas .  Enter
`none' if you want to leave this mail in `root's mailbox - NB this
is strongly discouraged.  Also, note that usernames should be lowercase!
Enter value (default=`jhspies', `x' to restart):

The following configuration has been entered:

Mail generated on this system will have `alpha.futurenet.co.za' used
as the domain part (after the @) in the From: field and similar places.

The following domain(s) will be recognised as referring to this system:
 alpha.futurenet.co.za

Mail for postmaster, root, etc. will be sent to jhspies.

Local mail is delivered.

Outbound remote mail is sent via alpha.futurenet.co.za.
[snip]

Configuration installed.
I then experimented with my /etc/exim.conf file.  The contents of this
file now looks like this (commented lines removed):
qualify_domain = alpha.futurenet.co.za
local_domains = Johann
local_domains_include_host = true
local_domains_include_host_literals = true
relay_domains =
relay_domains_include_local_mx = true
never_users = root
host_lookup_nets = 0.0.0.0/0
sender_host_reject_relay = *
trusted_users = mail
smtp_verify = true
gecos_pattern = ^([^,:]*)
gecos_name = $1
received_header_text = "Received: \
          ${if def:sender_fullhost {from ${sender_fullhost} \
          ${if def:sender_ident {(${sender_ident})}}\n\t}\
          {${if def:sender_ident {from ${sender_ident} }}}}\
          by ${primary_hostname} \
          ${if def:received_protocol {with ${received_protocol}}} \
          (Exim ${version_number} #${compile_number} (Debian))\n\t\
          id ${message_id}"
end
local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  mode_fail_narrower = false
  file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}

address_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  return_output

address_file:
  driver = appendfile

address_directory:
  driver = appendfile
  no_from_hack
  prefix = ""
  suffix = ""

address_reply:
  driver = autoreply

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp

end

real_local:
  prefix = real-
  driver = localuser
  transport = local_delivery

system_aliases:
  driver = aliasfile
  file = /etc/aliases
  search_type = lsearch

userforward:
  driver = forwardfile
  no_verify
  check_ancestor
  file = .forward
  modemask = 002
  filter

localuser:
  driver = localuser
  transport = local_delivery

end

lookuphost:
  driver = lookuphost
  transport = remote_smtp

literal:
  driver = ipliteral
  transport = remote_smtp

end

# Domain               Error       Retries
# ------               -----       -------

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

end

When trying to get mail from my ISP the following happens:
------------------------------------
reading message 1 of 16 (2612 bytes)
popclient: SMTP< 220 Johann ESMTP Exim 1.92 #1 Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:42:34
+0200
popclient: SMTP> EHLO Johann
popclient: SMTP< 250-Johann Hello jhspies at johann [127.0.0.1]
popclient: SMTP< 250-SIZE
popclient: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
popclient: SMTP< 250 HELP
popclient: forwarding to localhost
popclient: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<nguba@jungle.bt.co.uk> SIZE=2612
popclient: SMTP< 250 <nguba@jungle.bt.co.uk> is syntactically correct
popclient: SMTP> RCPT TO:<jhspies@localhost>
popclient: SMTP< 550 relaying to <jhspies@localhost> prohibited by
administratorpopclient: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address
`jhspies@localhost'
popclient: SMTP> RCPT TO:<jhspies@localhost>
popclient: SMTP< 550 relaying to <jhspies@localhost> prohibited by
administratorpopclient: can't even send to calling user!
popclient: POP3> QUIT
popclient: POP3< >>>>> "jdassen" == jdassen  <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl>
writes:
popclient: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
alpha.futurenet.co.za
popclient: SMTP> QUIT
popclient: SMTP< 221 Johann closing connection

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when
      he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which
      the Lord hath promised to them that love him."
                                          James 1:12