modem problems

I am damned if I can get my modem to work under linux. Here's the
general situation.
While I installed from the floppies and selected to do an ftp install,
the modem seemed to work. I say seemed because I was having problems
with it under Windows 98 that have now been resolved. However on the
latest install (many fdisk later) I elected not to do an ftp install
because I now have a CD. Whether this has any bearing on the situationor
not I don't know, but this is what happens.
If I run pppconfig to create a user account "virgin" (virgin.net) then I
get two scripts one in /etc/chatscripts and the other in /etc/ppp/peers.
That seems OK. If I do a "pon virgin" though and watch events through
"plog" then the /etc/chatscript/virgin sends the modem an ATZ command
which the modem takes TWENTY seconds to answer. Then ATDT takes a
further TEN seconds before the modem dials out. Once the modem has
dialed out, it is unable to establish a serial connection with a message
about always having bit 7 set to zero.
Poking around found wvdial, but according to that I do not have a modem
installed. I have /dev/ttyS0, S1 and S2 but no modem. It appears that
/dev/ttyS2 (com3 irq4 jumpered) is configured to be just another com
port.
If I do a "more /proc/interrupts" irq 4 says "4+serial"

So I suppose I want to know, what script does the debian install routine
run that's different? How do I tell the OS that /dev/ttyS2 is a modem?
What exactly is the relationship between com1 and com3? The serial howto
implies that I cannot use com3 if com1 is in use, and /proc/interrupts
implies com1 is in use, but if I remove it in the BIOS then the modem
doesn't work in windows. What's going on?
I've read the ppp and serial howtos and the setserial manpage and at the
moment it doesn't make any sense. Is someone able to give me a clear
explanation of what to do.
I will be eternally grateful.
If anyone needs more information mail me and I will try to be as clear
as possible.

Thanks.