Re: modem problems

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Tracheotomy Bob wrote:

> I am damned if I can get my modem to work under linux. Here's the
> general situation.

 From your symptoms, it seems *very* doubtful that it's a Winmodem, but
*just* for the sake of paranoia, are you sure it's not? Does it work under
DOS?

> Poking around found wvdial, but according to that I do not have a modem
> installed. I have /dev/ttyS0, S1 and S2 but no modem. It appears that
> /dev/ttyS2 (com3 irq4 jumpered) is configured to be just another com
> port.

 No, no, the "com port" is just the place where Linux will send
information. If there's a modem there, it will receive it and send back
appropriate answers.

 UNLESS... there's an IRQ problem. The symptoms you describe are just
classic IRQ issues. What you need to do is tell Linux that /dev/ttyS2
("COM3" in DOS-speak) is using IRQ 4 instead of IRQ3. Take a look at
/etc/rc.boot/0setserial. In there, you can set ttyS2 to be any IRQ you
like. Try "man setserial" and the comments in the 0setserial file to see
how.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  "...Windows - which is often referred to as 'the French labor union
                     of software'..." - Dave Barry