Re: Debian Installation Problem

On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 10:59:06AM +0100, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 02:54:32 +0000, Stefan D. Schwarz wrote:
>
> >I guess the Debian Installation program that lets you select the
> >selections is located somewhere on my system, so I simply have to start
> >it again and pick the proper choice this time - I've been searching for
> >it, couldn't find it, though...
>
> I think dselect has some severe limitations, to put it friendly.
>
> Myself I'm very fed up with it. I'm a Linux user since 1991, and Hamm is my first
> contact with a distribution other than SLS/Slackware. I had to face a load of
> problems since I installed Debian, and I'm really considering dropping it in
> favor of something that actually works.
>
> Sorry for these harsh words, but if there is something that must be idiot proof
> it's the installation system.

I agree with part of this. DO NOT waste your time fiddling with dselect, you
will almost certainly get your system into an unusable state. It _is_
possible to learn how to overcome it's tendency to do things for no
apparent reason (I still remember the time it decided all on its own to get
rid of perl killing itself) but it's not worth it now that apt is on the
horizon.

Most recently when faced with the same situation as you I just installed
apt and used that to finish up the installation using apt-get. It went very
well.

Once you get a Debian system installed for the first time the ease of
maintaining it really does blow the other dists away. Short term pain, long
term gain :-)

Bruce