RE: cheapbytes debian 2.0 installation problems

I found this a little confusing myself the first time.  If you ordered the 4
disc set as I did, the Binary CD only has the main packages. The non-free
and contrib packages are on the Extras 1 & 2.

I would suggest starting from scratch and only select the base and package
and let dselect install those first.  Otherwise you may run into conflicts.
I had to reinstall almost a dozen times before I could pin-point a problem
with the emacs packages not allowing the menu package to configure properly.
I finally got it working last night.  It also seemed to help in configuring
the Xserver correctly without additional editing.  Just so you know.  After
the base packages are installed and configured properly, you can go back and
install any other packages by typing dselect.  You don't get the
configuration options like you did the first time though (I think someone
posted how to do this before but I can't seem to find that message) so
you'll have to go through and pick the packages you want.  Dselect will warn
you any dependencies and the help file is fairly clear if read carefully.

HTH
Cristov Russell
cristov@earthling.net