cheapbytes debian 2.0 installation problems

debian 2.0 baffles me.
i have tried to install about four times and only on the last one did it
work, but not really (you will see)
    i try to install everything - i put an X next to all the box for
every option.  Everything goes ok until i use dselect
    i do [a]ccess and it tells me to :
    give my cdrom drive : /dev/hdc
    (this is the cheapbytes cd by the way)
    give the domain( i think that was it) : /debian
    now comes the weird part - it can't find directories with -386 or
local or contrib on them?  are they on the archive cds? how do i use
them?
    anyway i [u]pdate.
    then i [i]nstall.  everything seems to work until it gives me a
message saying my kernel might be too old to run a package?
    i just keep going with the installation.
    it seems not to be selecting many things...
    finally towards the end, it tells me " there are too many errors "
and stops the installation.
    i quit dselect.

    i run debian and i try : startx but it can't find my libc6 libraries
or libXmu...

    that message of 'too many errors' worries me.
    how much should this linux take up with all installed ~1.5 gig?

    should i just delete the partition and start from scratch (i'm
sorely tempted)

    please, any input would be great