Re: Modprobe Question

On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 11:51:08AM -0500, Greg Norris wrote:
> I'm assuming that you mean net-pf-[3-5], rather than just pf-[3-5].
> Assuming that your system is otherwise working correctly, add the
> following lines to /etc/conf.modules:
>
>      alias net-pf-3 off
>      alias net-pf-4 off
>      alias net-pf-5 off
>
> What's happening, is that the system is seeing packets for various
> networking protocols, and attempting to load modules to support them
> (which weren't selected when your kernel was compiled).  net-pf-3 is
> ax25, net-pf-4 is ipx, and net-pf-5 is appletalk.

Yes, that is what I meant. I looked at my /etc/modules/aliases (I am running
Slink) and all three of the lines were uncommented out. So I guess it was
something that was being sent by my ISP. I just used the Linux 2.0.35 Images
and I am sure when it was compiled those protocols were compiled in. I just
don't use them.

Thanks for you reply. And I will ignore them from now on.

Mike Acklin
Debian User