Re: PPP & ibm.net

On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 02:20:01PM +0000, lanceh@ibm.net wrote:
> Any have the scripts necessary o contect to ibm.net from ppp or wvdial?  I get a dial tone and the sound when one connects
> to a server but I am always disconnected.  I imagine that the server is not receiving my login and password.  I have tried
> the HOWTO scripts but they don't seem to work either.  I am using Hamm but don't know how to tell which version of pppd I
> am using.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lance

Lance,

	Look at your /var/log/ppp.log. It will tell you what is going on.
Also did you try using the minicom program to see what is going on? Try this
and see if you can connect up and input your logon namd and password. If you
can, then see if IBM is sending the PPP start sequence. But most of all look
at the ppp.log as it will tell you the most informtion and can work from
there.

	Also to find out what version of ppp your are running try:

debian:/etc# pppd -h

	You should get something like this....

pppd version 2.3 patch level 5
Usage: pppd [ options ], where options are:
        <device>        Communicate over the named device
        <speed>         Set the baud rate to <speed>
        <loc>:<rem>     Set the local and/or remote interface IP
                        addresses.  Either one may be omitted.
        asyncmap <n>    Set the desired async map to hex <n>
        auth            Require authentication from peer
        connect <p>     Invoke shell command <p> to set up the serial line
        crtscts         Use hardware RTS/CTS flow control
        defaultroute    Add default route through interface
        file <f>        Take options from file <f>
        modem           Use modem control lines
        mru <n>         Set MRU value to <n> for negotiation
See pppd(8) for more options.

Hope This Helps

Mike Acklin
Debian User