Re: pine 4.05 install

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, dsb3 wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, dsb3 wrote:
> >
> >> from the pine CPYRIGHT file (actually looking at v3.96 which I have
> >> installed)
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >
> >But this explains it:
> >
> >Although the above trademark and copyright restrictions do not convey
> >the right to redistribute derivative works, the University of
> >Washington encourages unrestricted distribution of patch files which
> >can be applied to the University of Washington Pine distribution.
> >
> >It can be distributed as a binary only using unpatched sources.  Otherwise
> >you have a "derivative work".  Debian distributes the original source plus
> >diffs which then must be compiled locally to comply with this restriction.
>
> maybe this is too pedantic, but are you saying:
> 1) it can be distributed in binary form using unpatched sources ONLY, or
> 2) if distributed as solely binary, it must come from unpatched sources.
>
> thus, if the debian package were to somewhat wastefully contain both
> source AND binary, would it be permitted to use patched sources for it.

I can't really tell the distinction between 1) and 2), but as I understand
the Debian interpretation of the copyright file (with which I concur):

1.  You cannot distribute a modified version (source or binary).
2.  You can distribute the unmodified version (source or binary) along
with patch files which modify it.

This was discussed extensively on debian-devel a few months ago.

If someone clever came up with a patch for the binary, that would be
permissable.

When it comes to license/copyright issues, the author gets to choose
whatever he wants.  Fortunately, open licensing is getting more popular.

However, it's pretty staightforward to create a binary.deb file with
the patches for local use (it can't be distributed.  Per a message from
Martin Bialasinski on 23 Sep 1998:

First get the debian pine sources. They are on your local debian
mirror in project/experimental. You need the .diff.gz, .dsc and
.orig.tar.gz files. Better use a ftp client for this, not
netscape. Netscape uncompressed the diff.gz file when I did this,
causeing trouble for the next steps.

(install the dpkg-dev debian package)
Now create the pine source tree: dpkg-source -x pine*.dsc
Cd into the sourcedir: cd pine-4.04
Create the deb packages: debian/rules binary
Install the package: cd ..; dpkg -i pine*.deb pilot*.deb pico*.deb

Bob

----