Re: pine 4.05 install

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Bob Nielsen wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, dsb3 wrote:
>
>> from the pine CPYRIGHT file (actually looking at v3.96 which I have
>> installed)
>>
>> [snip]
>
>But this explains it:
>
>Although the above trademark and copyright restrictions do not convey
>the right to redistribute derivative works, the University of
>Washington encourages unrestricted distribution of patch files which
>can be applied to the University of Washington Pine distribution.
>
>It can be distributed as a binary only using unpatched sources.  Otherwise
>you have a "derivative work".  Debian distributes the original source plus
>diffs which then must be compiled locally to comply with this restriction.

maybe this is too pedantic, but are you saying:
1) it can be distributed in binary form using unpatched sources ONLY, or
2) if distributed as solely binary, it must come from unpatched sources.

thus, if the debian package were to somewhat wastefully contain both
source AND binary, would it be permitted to use patched sources for it.

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /
 --|    oOobodoO        /   dsb3@earthlink.net