Re: Network debian with win 98

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 11:41:25PM -0400, Collin Rose wrote:
> I cannot network my win98 and linux machine. I put linux on the 98 machine
> to check the net connection. It works fine. Any ideas on this?
> I cannot even ping the other computer. I do have TCP/IP installed on the 98
> system.

Ok...
if installing linux on the "98 machine" works fine then it sounds like
your network is properly wired...

You installed TCP/IP on the 98 machine...did you configure it?
WHat IP adresses and Subnet masks did you use?

Do you have tcpdump on the linux machine? If you can't ,ake sense of the
tcpdump output then just post it and im sure someone can tell you what it
means. Just run tcpdump and start the 98 machine trying to ping.

if you don't get ANY output form tcpdump then you can be 99.9% sure it is
a hardware/wiring problem. If you see ICMP echo requests (pings)
then you probably have a software misconfiguration on one or the other
(check the subnet masks ;) )

just for a reference heres what I use for IPs

IPs: 10.0.0.*
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"