Re: Modem recommendation

In article <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.96.980922154217.21385C-100000@ursa.cus.cam.ac.uk>,
G. Kapetanios <gk205@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>I am switching from ethernet to modem (end of school days) and I would be
>grateful about suggestion for a good external modem that works well under
>Debian
>2.0.

I bought the 3com USR Message Faxmodem some weeks ago and cannot
complain. It supports 56K transfer with the X2 and V.90 standards,
and all the usual standards for 33K and below. It can receive faxes
and answer voice calls without the computer being turned on.

The only disadvantage is the missing K56flex standard. So, if your
provider supports this as the only 56K mode, then you should buy
another modem.

Harald
--
Harald Weidner                  http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/~weidner/