Re: installing debian from more than 1 CD?

[Courtesy copy of Usenet posting]
ddui@iee.org <ddui@iee.org> wrote:
>I would like to install some non-free and contrib Debian 2.0 packages. I
>have main, non-free and contrib on three different CDs.
>
>I select a package from contrib that depends on another package on
>non-free, dselect does not find that package because it's on the other CD.

The way I've handled this was:
- select the "mounted filesystem" access method in dselect, and quit
  dselect.
- make dpkg aware of existence of the packages on all CDs:
  do "dpkg --clear-avail" and run "zcat Packages.gz | dpkg --merge-avail"
  with the Packages.gz from each CD.
- select the packages in dselect
- let dselect install: the CD with main first, then the non-free, then the
  contrib CD. (Packages in main don't depend on ones in contrib or non-free;
  packages in non-free don't generally depend on ones in contrib; contrib
  ones depend on ones in non-free).

But perhaps someone on debian-user@lists.debian.org can come up with an
easier solution.

HTH,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks