Re: using a proxy server

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, David Karlin wrote:

>Hello,
>I have done a hamm diskette installation and now a have a base (but
>incomplete) system.  My hamm box is built from recycled parts (collected for
>free), and the modem is slow.  I'd like to complete the installation via ftp
>using a proxy-server so I can access the 56k winmodem.
>
>I've downloaded and installed a proxy-server for my winbox (connected to
>hamm box via lan) and I tried "route add default gw winbox", but linux still
>can't ping sites outside my lan.
>
>Have I used an incorrect syntax for "route" in this situation?  If not, I
>will have to check the config. on the proxy server.

close, but no cigar.

your windows proxy is just that, a proxy.  Most likely what you'll need to
do is 'socksify' your applications to teach them to talk to the proxy.

Some applications like Netscape have built in pages to specify proxy
settings.  Others may take environment variables.  Some may need source
modifications or custom rc settings.

for lynx, try adding this to your .profile

http_proxy=http://wherever:port/
ftp_proxy=http://wherever:port/
export http_proxy ftp_proxy

I use wwwoffle on my machine to act as a local cache so use the above
successfully with lynx.

most likely you won't be able to ping at all, since ping is not typically
proxyable (the packets are too small).

Hope that helped,

- dave

--