using a proxy server

Hello,
I have done a hamm diskette installation and now a have a base (but
incomplete) system.  My hamm box is built from recycled parts (collected for
free), and the modem is slow.  I'd like to complete the installation via ftp
using a proxy-server so I can access the 56k winmodem.

I've downloaded and installed a proxy-server for my winbox (connected to
hamm box via lan) and I tried "route add default gw winbox", but linux still
can't ping sites outside my lan.

Have I used an incorrect syntax for "route" in this situation?  If not, I
will have to check the config. on the proxy server.

TIA,

-David