Re: ISDN-Setup

>> "HM" == Helmut Metzdorf <h-j-m@tap.de> writes:

HM> 1: use the old config files (pap-secrets, host.conf, hosts,
HM> resolv.conf)    by copying them to the appropriate places (/etc,
HM> /etc/ppp).

Yes.

HM> 2: my old entries in isdnlog.conf are placed in callerid.conf.
I think so.

HM> 3: country- and areacode as well as my MSN and my providers phonenr
HM> have to be set in isdn.conf.
Yes.

HM> Question: There was mentioned a ~/.isdn, where to find any info on
HM> that, and what is it good for?
This is part of isdnlog config. See /usr/doc/isdnutils/isdnlog/README.de.gz

18. Verwendete Dateien
----------------------

Folgende Files werden von diesem System verwendet:

  /sbin/isdnlog              - Das Protokoll-Programm
  /usr/sbin/isdnrep          - Das Report-Programm
  /usr/sbin/isdnconf         - Das Konfigurationstool
  /etc/isdn/isdnlog.conf     - Die alte Config-Datei
  /etc/isdn/isdn.conf        - Die neue Config-Datei
  ~/.isdn                    - Die Config-Datei des Benutzers
[...]

HM> 4: take my old ioptions file and edit device.ippp0 accordingly, ignoring
HM> the mass of new options.

HM> Question: do i have to use the no..-options where i had
HM> -..-options               before e. g. novj instead of -vj?

Better do so. This is not much hassle to change this, no?
ALso you should edit /etc/isdn/ipppd.ippp0 if you use syncppp.

HM> 5: lookup the scriptfile that sets the base values via isdnctrl
HM> (isdn.ippp0?) and check it against the old script i was using.

Base values? What do you mean with this?

HM> Question: there the defaultroute is set, mustn´t i delete it again to
HM> disable dial-on-demand?
Yes.

Edit /etc/isdn/device.ippp0, etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d/isdnutils
Also make sure you don't have an old entry in /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.

HM> 6: the option file for isdnlog (isdnlog.isdnctrl0?)

HM> Question: should i change some of the default parameters or can i
HM> leave            them untouched?

There are reasonable defaults. If you want something special, change
them.

HM> 7: edit /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/isdnutils to disable dial-on-demand.
Yes. See above.

HM> 8: remove the "not configured" lines from the config files.
Yes.

HM> How to change, set permissions (which permissions?) to initiate an
HM> internet session as user xyz, preferably using xmonisdn and how to
HM> change the according scripts besides eliminating the leading "exit 0"
HM> - working examples wellcome - ?
Sorry, I use dial on demand. Probably add the user to group dialout
and dip (adduser dialout theuser).

HM> Can i insert the commands for mail-processing in
HM> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/isdnutils

Better create a new script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d . This is better design.

HM> and do i have to precede the fetchmail command with su -u xyz when
HM> the acording .fetchmailrc is in /home/xyz?
Yes.

HM> In my old setting i had a one line script to reset the default route
HM> because sometimes it happened that it was lost during a session, should
HM> i keep it?
Never heared of such a bug.

Ciao,
	Martin

--
from a 1996 Microshit ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"