ISDN-Setup

Hi there,

this is a request for approval (or corrections) and some questions.

After i read on this list about problems with autoup i decided for a
clean new install of Debian 2.0 instead. Having carefully backed up
all my personal settings etc. all went rather smooth.

But when i installed the isdnutils-package and some configuration script
was run (isdnconfig) i firsthand decided to read some docu first. There
i noticed that a lot of the layout in the config files has changed.
Having now read (i think) all availible documentation i made my mind up
how to continue. But beeing unsure i´d like your comments on my
procedure.

1: use the old config files (pap-secrets, host.conf, hosts,
resolv.conf)    by copying them to the appropriate places (/etc,
/etc/ppp).

2: my old entries in isdnlog.conf are placed in callerid.conf.

3: country- and areacode as well as my MSN and my providers phonenr
   have to be set in isdn.conf.

 Question: There was mentioned a ~/.isdn, where to find any info on
           that, and what is it good for?

4: take my old ioptions file and edit device.ippp0 accordingly, ignoring
   the mass of new options.

 Question: do i have to use the no..-options where i had
-..-options               before e. g. novj instead of -vj?

5: lookup the scriptfile that sets the base values via isdnctrl
(isdn.ippp0?) and check it against the old script i was using.

 Question: there the defaultroute is set, mustn´t i delete it again to
           disable dial-on-demand?

6: the option file for isdnlog (isdnlog.isdnctrl0?)

 Question: should i change some of the default parameters or can i
leave            them untouched?

7: edit /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/isdnutils to disable dial-on-demand.

8: remove the "not configured" lines from the config files.

Until here i´m rather shure there will be no major misstakes, but from
now there´s only questions left.

How to change, set permissions (which permissions?) to initiate an
internet session as user xyz, preferably using xmonisdn and how to
change the according scripts besides eliminating the leading "exit 0"
- working examples wellcome - ?

Can i insert the commands for mail-processing in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/isdnutils and do i have to precede the fetchmail
command with su -u xyz when the acording .fetchmailrc is in /home/xyz?

In my old setting i had a one line script to reset the default route
because sometimes it happened that it was lost during a session, should
i keep it?

Oh, i see this has gotten longer than intended, but i can´t help it.

Thanks in advance

Helmut