Re: mixed text and postscript

> | I'd like to be able to print both text and PostScript using one
> | printcap entry.  HP recommends setting up two separate printcap
> | this with LPRng?  I'm using an HP LaserJet 4000N with a JetDirect
> | card.

Nothing wrong with Magicfilter, but it doesn't have to be that magic
either.  I've used a filter consisting of:

#!/bin/bash
#
# psAndTextFilter
#
# Prepares incoming files for a postscript printer; if the input is already
# postscript, just passes it along.

# We must send a Control-D character after the end of any documents
# that go to the HP printer.

enscript --pass-through --no-header -M Letter -T 4 -o - 2>/dev/null
echo -n ''

for a 4000T.  Note that that's a real control-d, not two characters in
the final echo.  Not all printers need that; HPs seem to.

You will want to change the media type for enscript to suit your needs.

--
Pete Harlan
harlan@pointofchoice.com