Re: Microsoft = Trustworthy? What was I thinking???

Ryan King said

> >Using the dinstall system I'd go in and say "activate existing swap
> partition"
> >(or whatever the actual wording is...) and then I'd do the same with your
> >root partition.  Using existing partitions is not destructive and it
> should
> >then write the proper information to disk...
>
> Okay, I tried that and it didn't work (I think I remember doing that the
> first
> time I realized that the drive #'s were switched).
>
> Then, I tried re-initializing, then activating the swap.
> (Which didn't work)
>
> Then, I tried deleting the swap partition, adding it back,
> reinstalling/activating.
> (Which, alas, didn't work).
>
> When I say "didn't work" I mean I get the error:
> Unable to find swap-space signature
> ll_rw_block: device 03:02: only 4096-charblocks implemented (1024)
> ll_rw_block: device 03:02: only 4096-charblocks implemented (1024)
> ll_rw_block: device 03:02: only 4096-charblocks implemented (1024)
> ...(ad infinitum, (ad nauseum))...
>
> Have I exhausted all hope yet?

I don't think so.  If fdisk/cfdisk under Linux can read the partition
table, then we know that the table's structure is valid.  That's a good
thing.  If we're stuck on a swap partition, then I'd say to delete the
partition, reboot, and recreate a swap partition using the menu items
in dinstall.  Completely rebuilding your swap partition should completely
solve the mess NT caused.

What's the status of your root partition?  Have you spent any time trying
to mount it yet?  What were the results?

> -Ryan King

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841