Re: Unable to create a boot disk for hamm install

At 09:16 AM 9/15/98 -0500, Jeff Noxon wrote:

>  "Problem -- Creation of boot floppy failed.  Please make sure that the
>  floppy was not write-protected, and that you put it in the first drive.
>  Try another floppy if the problem persists."
>
>I've tried several disks and they all give me the same error.  I've tried
>"mke2fs /dev/fd0 1440" and while it is writing the inode table I get:
>
>  "Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 5:
>  Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write".
>
>This error persists starting at "13", "21", "29", "37", and "45" and ends
>with "ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to write block from filesystem resutled in
>short write while creating root dir".  Thus when I try a "mount -t ext2
>/dev/fd0 /floppy" I get
>
>  "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too
>   many mounted file systems"
>
>These errors are consistant across many disks.  I can however mount the
>disk I booted the system off of orginally (fat32).  All other disks don't
>seem to work.

Possibility:  Turn your Power Off, and pull the Plug Out.  Check your
hardware for loose drive connector plugs/sockets (odd, I had much the same
problem.  Floppy connector was so loose I'm surprised it did anything at
all!).

Another possibility:  Create another RESC1440 disk using RAWRITE; see if
the problem persists.

Roger