Unable to create a boot disk for hamm install

I'm forwarding this for a friend.  You can reply directly to me or to
the list.  I already told him how to boot from the rescue disk and the
CD-ROM, but I've never seen this problem before and we would appreciate
some insight.

Thanks!

Jeff

---

I got stuck on my installation last night.  I can't get my floppy
to create a boot floopy.  As such, I'm afraid to reboot my system to
continue the installation since I have not way of rebooting it.  *smile*
When it tries to create my boot floppy, it gives me:

  "Problem -- Creation of boot floppy failed.  Please make sure that the
  floppy was not write-protected, and that you put it in the first drive.
  Try another floppy if the problem persists."

I've tried several disks and they all give me the same error.  I've tried
"mke2fs /dev/fd0 1440" and while it is writing the inode table I get:

  "Warning: could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 5:
  Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write".

This error persists starting at "13", "21", "29", "37", and "45" and ends
with "ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to write block from filesystem resutled in
short write while creating root dir".  Thus when I try a "mount -t ext2
/dev/fd0 /floppy" I get

  "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too
   many mounted file systems"

These errors are consistant across many disks.  I can however mount the
disk I booted the system off of orginally (fat32).  All other disks don't
seem to work.

Any suggestions?