Re: Iomega Zip

>certainly wish
>to use Zip, and eventually Jaz with Linux, and in my extreme desire to
>completely
>seperate myself from the Microsoft dictatorship, I also wish to toss
>the Fat16
>format these disks have in favor of the far superior ext2.

Unless my memory fails me, I've formatted a zip disk in ext2 complete with
swap partition and installed linux.  I did this at the beginning of the
year when I had access to a zip drive - I still have the disk but alas
don't have a drive so can't verify exactly whats on there...

Anyway, the point of what I want to say is this.  Why bother with ext2 on
a zip disk.  You're most likely going to use it to move files between
computer 1 and computer 2.  Possibly to take files from computer 1 and
archive them offline someplace.  Why do you need ext2?

If you plan to use the zip disk as anything other than archive media I
might agree with you.  If not, I have to think you're barking up the wrong
tree.

DOS isn't such a bad format for floppies, which in essence is what a
zip disk is.  Why not do what I do and take a peek at Calderas web pages
for DRDOS7 ... a pleasant alternative to the microsoft product.
(www.caldera.com)

dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /  dsb3@earthlink.net
 --|    oOobodoO        /   We're just two lost souls, swimming in a
 --|     ooOoOo       /    fish bowl, year after year.  Running over