Re: Building Dev. Kernels

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:32:29 -0500, <amonbrent@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Robert Wilderspin wrote:
>>
>> Is there any Debian-specific things that need to be done to compile
>> development kernels correctly?  I'm considering downloading and trying
>> out 2.1.122, and would like to know whether I should be looking out
>> for any pecularities caused by Debian's layout, or something like
>> that.  Will it work "out of the box" using make-kpkg?
>
>i built the 2.1.122 kernel on a stock debian install by unpacking the
>tarball into /usr/src.
>it made a dir ./linux. i just did  make xconfig; make dep; make clean;
>make zImage. once i got it to compile i made a new entry (test) in the
>lilo.conf that pointed to the new kernel at
>/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage. it booted fine, but i don't have
>all of my modules built yet, so i'm w/o ether & sound right now. *note*
>it is *easy* to end up with a kernel that is too big, so make everything
>you can as a module -- i had to compile three times before my kernel was
>small enough.

Well, I gave it a go.  Downloaded the .bz2 of 2.1.122 and untarred it.
Forgot to change the /usr/src/linux symlink beforehand though, so it
overwrote my 2.0.34 source.  Serves me right for trying this after a
long day, I guess.  Still, that's not a problem.

However, after untarring it in a sensible place, I simply did a make
clean, make menuconfig before using make-kpkg to build the thing.  I
didn't do anything as modules, and it still fitted.  I'll move stuff
to modules in a while, but it all seems to be working okay.

Other than the initial boob on my part, it's all gone swimmingly well.
So far.  Rebooted okay, X works, no strange errors, and my hard drives
are going much faster now.

All in all, it was shockingly easy, but then the kernel is nearing
release.  Fun way to spend an evening.

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."