Re: I broke X when moving /home

*-Kent West <westk@nicanor.acu.edu>

| I had an NT partition, but decided I could live without it, so I fdisk'd

That's the spirit. :-)

| I tried editing /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and changing the last exec to run
| another window manager, but apparently I don't know what I'm doing (very
| likely, since I Don't know what I'm doing) or KDE doesn't look to this
| line to start itself, which means to me that KDE apparently thinks it's
| more than just a window manager. (As you can tell, I'm a bit confused
| here.) So the gist of this paragraph is I tried to change to a different
| windowmanager to see if the problem was with KDE or something else and I
| failed to make the change.

I'll try to unconfuse you. The last line in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is
just used if nothing else is found. The file you want to edit is
/etc/X11/window-managers. It will execute the first winman it
finds there. You could also have your own .xsession like this:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/X11R6/bin/my_favourite_winman

(This might fail if there is some problem with your home dir)

| After a while of trying to unlock the authority file (or after I press
| Ctrl-C; I'm not sure which action causes it to go on), X tries to start,
| but only gets to the dull graphic screen.
|
| I rebooted, and deleted /home/westk/.Xauthority. Then I tried starting X
| again as westk.
|
| This time I still get the messages about unlocking the authority file,
| but when X finally starts it starts up just fine, except that KDE tries
| to create several directories in westk (desktop, templates, etc). When I
| shutdown X and then restart it, KDE again tries to create the directories.
|
| Any clues as to what I need to do to fix this? Thanks.

Are you sure you mount the partition with you home dir? Put an entry
in /etc/fstab to do it automatically. You could also check /etc/passwd,
but it should be OK if /home is mounted.

--
olet@ifi.uio.no   [-: .elOle. :-]   olet@debian.org