I broke X when moving /home

I had an NT partition, but decided I could live without it, so I fdisk'd
it and mke2fs'd it. Since it's a 2gb partition, I figured that'd be a good
place to put /home. So I moved /home to /tmp (mv home /tmp), then mounted
the new partition as /home, then copied the old /home to the new (cp -r
/tmp/home/* /home). It looked like everything was fine.

This is a new setup (only a couple of weeks old), and I only have three
users (root, westk, and sheasbys, who hasn't actually logged on and done
anything yet).

Now when I login as root, I can run X fine, but if I log in as westk, I
get a message about "xauth: timeout unlocking authority file
/home/westk/.Xauthority". I have KDE installed.

I tried editing /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and changing the last exec to run
another window manager, but apparently I don't know what I'm doing (very
likely, since I Don't know what I'm doing) or KDE doesn't look to this
line to start itself, which means to me that KDE apparently thinks it's
more than just a window manager. (As you can tell, I'm a bit confused
here.) So the gist of this paragraph is I tried to change to a different
windowmanager to see if the problem was with KDE or something else and I
failed to make the change.

After a while of trying to unlock the authority file (or after I press
Ctrl-C; I'm not sure which action causes it to go on), X tries to start,
but only gets to the dull graphic screen.

I rebooted, and deleted /home/westk/.Xauthority. Then I tried starting X
again as westk.

This time I still get the messages about unlocking the authority file,
but when X finally starts it starts up just fine, except that KDE tries
to create several directories in westk (desktop, templates, etc). When I
shutdown X and then restart it, KDE again tries to create the directories.

Any clues as to what I need to do to fix this? Thanks.